Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sunflower Volunteers

Every year I choose a new type of sunflower (helianthus annuus) to plant but the ones that pop up from the spilled birdseed around my feeder always seem to be the prettiest. Maybe it's because they are the unexpected ones - just little gifts from Mother Nature. The bees loved this particular plant and stayed on it the whole time it was in bloom - and it had multiple blooms throughout the summer. I don't remember what brand of birdseed I was using that time, but I've never had so many sunflower volunteers since.  I let the spilled seeds grow under the feeder and the birds like it when the millet forms heads.


 Zonnebloem in Dutch

 
Elianto in Italian

Tornasol in Spanish

Click here for information on growing sunflowers 

The Old Farmer's Almanac

No comments:

Post a Comment